Friday, July 2, 2010

Chicago Trip

Last weekend we took our first family vacation!! It's funny but both Adam and I laughed as we looked back at the night before our family vacations and now realised why it was always a mad house until we left!

We set off for Chicago last Friday afternoon around Reagan's nap time. We were very happy that she spent the first two hours napping! After a 30 minute pit stop across the boarder to stretch our legs and use the bathroom we were settled back into the car and turned on the DVD player. Reagan was a big fan of The Mickey Mouse Club House, Adam on the other hand was ready to throw it out the window! We were making great time until we reached Chicago and then spent the next hour in a traffic jam and only moved 5 miles.

We arrived safely at my good friend Lisa's (or better known as Tall Lisa) apartment a little after 7. We did a little catching up and unloaded the car before setting off to find some dinner.

We had a lot on our agenda for the weekend and I think we hit just about everything!! We headed out on Saturday morning to meet up with my other good friend who is also named Lisa and went to The Navy Pier, that is after we sent the guys back because we forgot Reagan's blankie...I don't know how we left the house without it!! They have a really neat Children's Museum there. We only made it through about a third of it before calling it quiting time to eat some lunch.

Here are some of the pictures from the Children's Museum.

Blowing Bubbles





Playing in the water station...she loved this! Notice the raincoat that you put on to help stay dry.





One of Reagan's favorite room's was a room where they had this little play area with mats on the floor. She loved climbing on them and rolling around. They had these cute flowers where you could stick your face in them but she wasn't about to do that for me!





She finally conked out after lunch and a short trip through a stained glass window exhibit on the Pier.



Some pictures of the Pier.





We decided to head up to Michigan Ave to do a little shopping and to get some dinner before calling it a day. I have heard about this amazing American Girl Doll Store but haven't ever been to it. We dropped the guys off at an Apple store so they could play with the new I-Pad and whatever they found interesting and us girls headed off to the American Girl store. If you haven't been to one of these stores or if you don't have a little girl you may think it is a bit of an overkill but it was really pretty neat! I didn't go into it thinking we would buy Reagan a doll but I ended up splurging and bought her her first American Girl Baby Doll. I justified it with thinking she might want a baby when her little brother or sister arrives! I was lucky to have both Lisa's with me to help make a decision because there are so many dolls to pick from and then you have outfits to choose from. It was a tough decision to make! Reagan wasn't in love with her doll in Chicago but back here at home she pushes it around all over the place in her little baby stroller. I will try to get a picture of this and post it soon!

I didn't think to grab the camera from Adam so this is the only picture we have. Adam took it when they were looking for us. This picture doesn't do it any justice! There are two or three floors of doll after doll.



It was a fun day with a lot of walking!! I have no idea how many miles we put in but it sure felt like a lot for being 34 weeks pregnant!!

Sunday morning we headed out again. The guys took Reagan to a sporting goods store called REI and us ladies headed to a purse store called 1154 Lill Studio. I love this store, if you haven't been to one you need to go if you are ever in Chicago!! They have a ton of fabrics and styles of purses to choose from. You design your purse, they sew it up for you and then send it to you in the mail in about six weeks. I was in desperate need of finding a big enough purse that I could throw a diaper, snacks and a toy or two in it but didn't want a diaper bag! After picking out my fabrics and style I found just about the exact purse I was looking for already made so I could take it with me and not wait!

After a quick lunch at the Whole Foods Market (a grocery store and a client of Adam's) we headed to The Lincoln Park Zoo. This is a free zoo with great exhibits. Reagan loved looking at all the animals and did a great job of pointing things out when she saw them.

Some zoo pictures.







Our last day was spent at Shed Aquarium. We made sure to get there first thing in the morning to beat the lines. It was well worth it, we were able to hit all of the big exhibits before there were a ton of people to fight with. Reagan loved looking at all of the fish but loved the turtles the most!

A few pictures at the Aquarium.













After a little extra sight seeing aka we got lost we were on the road. The trip wouldn't be complete without stopping to get some fireworks and cheese before crossing over the boarder!

It was a great weekend and exactly what we were looking for! It was so good to see our friends Lisa and Curt and Lisa. It was a trip that was long over due! Thanks for all the great entertainment and hospitality! Can't wait to do it again but next time there will be two kids to chase around!

A few of my favorite pictures from the weekend.





1 comment:

  1. I love the picture of adam and reagan at the aquarium.... her face is so cute!!!!

    Hope to see you guys soon!!!

    ReplyDelete