Sunday, May 30, 2010

Praying for Ben Ricketts

Many of you know about and have been following the story of 22 month old Ben Ricketts this past week and a half. For those of you who aren't aware- Ben's parents found him unconscious and tangled up in a mini blind cord last Sunday. He was in intensive care at the University of Iowa Hospitals for over a week and passed away on Tuesday night. I got to know Dave, Ben's father my sophomore year in college. He lived down the hall from me in the dorms. He was an amazing friend who was there for you if you ever needed him.

It was such a sad sad week. It was something that constantly was on my mind and I couldn't help but think of how Dave and Steph were doing each day. BUT- I've seen some amazing things amidst the tragedy. Ben's facebook page has over 49,000 followers who were/are praying for them His CaringBridge site has over 171,000 hits. I'd encourage you all to go to the CaringBridge site and read the entries Dave has posted this past week. It has been amazing to read about his faith and to hear him say "God is Good" even when it'd be so easy to hate God for the situation. And here's another blog you must read- written by their pastor who walked with them through this time.

This week, of course, reminded me not to take any moment for granted with Reagan. In light of these events, I hugged her a little tighter, rocked a little longer at bed time, cuddled a little longer in the mornings, and giggled with her a little more. I'm thankful for every single moment I have with my precious family!

My heart continues to ache for Dave and Steph's loss. I am so thankful though that they have their faith in God to help carry them through such a difficult time. When seeing them at the visitation is was apparent that they are surrounded by love and support not only by their families but a community.

No comments:

Post a Comment